Name Change

Hand and Pen 1024x683 - Name Change

Orlando Name Change Attorney

In Florida, any adult is able to change their name by filing a petition for a name change. The process is not lengthy and can usually be accomplished within a month or so. And although changing your name after a marriage or divorce is the most common time, some people may decide to change due to other personal reasons.

Requirements for Adult Name Change

To file for a name change, a petition must be filed in the county where the person resides. When filing the petition there are certain requirements that have to be met. The Petitioner can not:

  • Be seeking a name change for an illegal purpose;
  • Have been arrested or convicted of a crime;
  • Have been declared bankrupt; or
  • Have been subject to any monetary judgments issued against him or her.

Providing that the requirements have been met, an adult may file a petition to change their name. With the help of an attorney the name change process is relatively quick and easy.

Changing the Name of a Minor Child

Changing the name of a minor child is a little more complicated. Consent from both parents is required and must show that the name change is in the best interest of the child. A judge may deny the request to change the name of a child if they have had the same name for many years. They may consider this to be not in the best interest of the child. However, the child may return to the courts when they reach the age of majority and request  the name change if they desire.  And to re-emphasize, an attorney is recommended, though not necessary, because of the procedural requirements of filing the correct paperwork and scheduling and attending a hearing.

Contact Jenkinson Legal Today

If you are sharing parental responsibility and do not have the agreement of the other parent, the process is more difficult and must be assessed on a case-by-case basis. We are happy to provide a free initial consultation on name changes. At Jenkinson Legal we can explain your options, protect your rights, and help you take the appropriate legal steps toward a brighter future for yourself and your children. Contact Attorney AnnMarie Jenkinson of Jenkinson Legal at (321) 837-9547 with your Family Law questions, or to schedule a free initial consultation.

Jenkinson Legal has many satisfied clients throughout seven counties of Central Florida – Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake, Polk, Volusia, and Brevard. Here at the Florida Family Law office of Jenkinson Legal we have one simple objective: provide personalized, one on one attention to our clients’ legal worries so they can concentrate on life and family. Contact Jenkinson Legal today to learn more about our experience and success at (321) 837-9547. We are conveniently located in beautiful downtown Winter Park, Florida.

Share This Page!

AVVO Client Reviews

Contact Us For A Free Consultation