Modification of Child Custody

child custody lawyer - Modification of Child Custody

Orlando Child Custody Modification Attorney

After the final order of paternity or divorce is entered, both parties are responsible for abiding by the terms of the agreement or final judgment. In the best-case scenario, both you and your former spouse will be able to comply with all of these orders. However, circumstances may cause an individual to request changes to a child support order, a parenting plan or a modification of alimony.

If this is applicable in your case, contact Jenkinson Legal as soon as possible. The procedure to be followed will depend on the type of change you are attempting to make in your case.

How to Modify a Previous Court Order from Divorce 

In order to modify a parenting plan (which includes parental responsibility and the time-sharing schedule), a party needs to file a petition requesting the modification. The Court will again look at Section 61.13 of the Florida Statutes to makes its determination based on the best interests of the children. In order for a Judge to modify a parenting plan, there must be evidence of a substantial, material and unanticipated changes in circumstances from the time that the prior judgment was entered which created the parenting plan. In addition, the Judge must make a determination that the requested modification is in the best interests of the children.  A few factors that can be found in 61.13 include:  the capacity of each parent to act upon the needs of the child, as opposed to the needs or wants of the parent, the mental and physical health of the parents, the moral fitness of the patents, etc.  To learn more about these factors and to learn if you have satisfied the grounds for bringing a modification action forth, call us today, for an initial free consultation.

What You Have to Show to Modify Orders 

The modification can be possible if you can illustrate that the circumstances in the child’s life who is affected by a child support order or a visitation order have changed substantially or that your individual circumstances as a payor of alimony or child support have shifted. The court has the discretion to determine when these changes are material and substantial.

Having an attorney who is familiar with these post decree issues is essential as this can have a significant impact on the remainder of your life. While a final divorce order may have been relatively clear and worked at the time, circumstances often change in the family’s situation and this may warrant a modification of various issues associated with child support, visitation or alimony. Having a lawyer to help you navigate this complex process can have a significant impact on the outcome, as well as how you feel about the issue overall. Do not hesitate to contact Jenkinson Legal for experienced and compassionate legal assistance.

Contact Jenkinson Legal Today

Changes happen. Alimony, child support, and parenting plans sometimes become obsolete. A competent, experienced support modification attorney can help you modify and update family court orders to reflect your current circumstances. Whether you need to modify an alimony order because your ex-spouse is cohabitating or remarrying or because your child is now a teenager, Jenkinson Legal helps clients resolve these issues through a mutual agreement or with the court’s help. At Jenkinson Legal we can explain your options, protect your rights, and help you take the appropriate legal steps toward a brighter future for yourself and your children. Contact Attorney AnnMarie Jenkinson of Jenkinson Legal at (321) 837-9547 with your Family Law questions, or to schedule a free initial consultation.

Jenkinson Legal has many satisfied clients throughout seven counties of Central Florida – Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake, Polk, Volusia, and Brevard. Here at the Florida Family Law office of Jenkinson Legal we have one simple objective: provide personalized, one on one attention to our clients’ legal worries so they can concentrate on life and family. Contact Jenkinson Legal today to learn more about our experience and success at (321) 837-9547. We are conveniently located in beautiful downtown Winter Park, Florida.

Share This Page!

AVVO Client Reviews

Contact Us For A Free Consultation